Conkle's Hollow, situated off S.R. 374 on Big Pine Road is a rugged, rocky gorge—considered one of the deepest in Ohio. The valley floor is a veritable wilderness covered by a profusion of ferns and wildflowers while hemlock, birch and other hardwood tower overhead. The growth is so thick in places that little or no sunlight reaches the deep valley floor.
Vertical cliffs rising over 200 feet above the mouth of the gorge surround the trail leading up the narrow half-mile long ravine. As the trail continues, the gorge narrows further to only a distance of 300 feet from cliff to cliff.
For the more adventurous hiker, the rim trail on top of the cliffs circles the gorge. These cliffs are some of the highest in the area and provide some of the most outstanding scenic views in Hocking Hills.
This hollow was named for W.J. Conkle who left his name and the date 1797 carved into the sandstone on the west wall of the gorge. Conkle's Hollow is a state nature preserve operated by the ODNR Division of Natural Areas and Preserves.
Sign-up to receive Friendly Updates our e-Newsletter
Supporting Hocking Hills Since 2003
Volunteer in the Hocking Hills
Visit our Business Partners
Find Member Discounts...
April 25-27, 2014
May 17, 2014
October 4, 2014